Monday, February 18, 2008

Stitching on February TIF colour challenge finished!


The stitching is complete except for the backstitch edge for which I need a perle cotton - hopefully the needlework shop will have a match. There is a carton of combed washed wool lurking under the stairs which will make great filling!

However because I am mean with my fabric I will not complete the biscornu until I have used the end of this piece. The Aida was purchased as a fat quarter and cut it in half so there is a postcard sized piece left on the end. However this will only fit in my hoop if I don't cut off the work I have done. I have designed a First Communion card for my grandson - it is in cross stitch and needs to be done within the next month so I should be able to get them both out of the way in the not too distant future.

The buttons are temporarily connected to show the finished effect. They were two lonely buttons in my blue drawer. Their provenance is unknown - could be vintage, almost. I can't bear to throw out a button and unless I am giving away a piece of clothing I will carefully cut each and every button off . This is an inherited characteristic - my mother and grandmother did the same (and my grandmother did not even sew!) Mum always said it was our Cornish ancestry. I wonder! She was wonderful as she would unpick the bottom of sleeves of jumpers she had knitted for my boys who seemed to grow their arms overnight and then reknit in the opposite direction ( all this in 3 ply or finer) - and if there wasn't enough wool left she would redo an even longer section to be able to add some fairisle or stripes or both. When I think of how long it took me to knit anything I am still overawed by her knitting.

I was not sure I liked the colours in the beginning but it turned out that they were easy to use. It was good to have used the month's colour palette to make something simple. My only reservation about this biscornu working as a workaday pincushion is that some of the stitches may be a tad long for the purpose and could catch as the pins go in and out. I have tied down the longer stitches but it will be a good trial to use it for a time and see if I need to tie the stitches more. Anyway it will be a good excuse to design another.

4 comments:

Aussie Jo said...

This is a lovely design Marg, what does biscornu actually mean? Good to see the application of those PLOS stitches, i'm using a few to stitch an ATC and postcard to swap with susan Lenz for Cyber Fyber.

Maya Sara Matthew said...

I myself discovered "Biscornu" very recently but haven't got round to making one.That's a pretty one you have embroidered.I'm enjoying myself seeing all the different ways in which people are taking the challenge further.

Paula Hewitt said...

azHi Marg - very nice! not only a graduate of sumptuous surfaces, but another TIF challenger and from Brisbane too!!

Unknown said...

I like the balance and elegance of your embroidery - nice work. And great buttons....